Episode 21, ‘The spectrum of brooding’, Jessica Jones vs Daredevil
In this episode, Dave and Steven discuss the two latest Netflix/Marvel team-ups! It starts out sounding like a hatefest, and then ends sounding like a feminist-fest, but in the end it’s just another wonderful episode of The Style Guide.
Seriously though, Dave and Steven really do like Jessica Jones and Daredevil.
- Intro Clip: Jessica Jones, AKA You’re a Winner [1×6].
- Steven picks an intro clip that is somewhat on the nose.
- Dave insists on calling this “JJ vs. DD”.
- Binge watching is all about hiding the flaws.
- Steven is very clearly still a six year old.
- Dave and Steve debate the merits of being blind.
- “Mac Murdock”, Dave?
- Steven gets angry at people in love.
- Speaking of love, does it sound like Dave might be a little bit in love with “Trinity from The Matrix“?
- For perhaps the first time in his life, Steven admits to being wrong.
- David Tennant is no Vincent D’Nofrio.
- Dave makes up a quote.
- Steven doesn’t understand the difference between Hell’s Kitchen and the rest of Manhattan. Or New York. Or geography as a concept.
- Dave feels cinematography.
- Jessica Jones doesn’t have one of these scenes.
- For a more nuanced take on that scene, check out this analysis.
- Daredevil’s superpower is that he can tell when your heart is beating.
- Steve brings up the always timely Ang Lee Hulk film.
- Most of the podcast sounds like a hatefest, but Dave and Steve really did enjoy both series.
- Maybe we should start assuming that Steve always hates any particular child/teen actor unless he expressly states otherwise.
- Is romance a justification for sex or is sex a justification for romance?
- When is Monica going to get around to a better feminist critique of Jessica Jones than Dave and Steven?
- Steven mispronounces(?) Bechdel.
- Hey Dave, never apologize for being a feminist. You do you.
- Animorphs reference. Boom.